Known as Game Starts, players begin the game by selecting one of the backstories available to set a starting preference of skills and items to start off with. Full details on the characters and their stats and equipment can be found on their own page, accessed by clicking their name.
- Starts the player in The Hub with 1,000 Cats, two Basic First Aid Kit, a rag loincloth, and an Unknown quality Iron Club. Starts with 1 in all Stats.
The Freedom SeekersEdit
- Starts the player with six other characters in a Waystation, a few Building Materials, several Wooden Backpacks, some Wheatstraw, and 4,000 Cats. Five of the members have a 1 in all Stats, the remaining character among them is an "Old Soldier" with higher combat Stats. Also starts the game with the Storm House, Storage: Wheatstraw, and Wheat Farm already researched.
The Retired CaptainEdit
- Starts the player in The Hub with no Cats, increased combat Stats, bad relations with The Holy Empire, and great relations with The Empire. Comes equipped with a Leather Shirt, some Samurai Clothpants, a pair of Drifter's Boots, and a Metal Purity quality Horse Chopper. As well as some Gohan for food and some Standard first aid kit.
The Wandering TraderEdit
- Starts the player in the Trader's Edge with increased relations with the Traders Guild. The player starts with no Cats, but has several Trade Goods in their inventory. Including some Gohan for food and Standard first aid kit. The player starts with 1 in all Stats and is also accompanied by a Pack Bull equipped with a Bull Backpack.
The Holy SwordEdit
- Starts the player in a random town with an Edgewalkers quality Nodachi, and bad relations with both The Holy Nation and the Imperial Lords. Has 100 Cats, a Bounty of 10,000 on them, some basic clothing, and a Standard first aid kit. Nodachi has a cutting damage from 2 to 2.2 (compared to a maximum of 1.8 which can be reached with crafting).
- Starts out in The Great Desert east of Sho-Battai with a missing left arm. No Cats, food, weapons or clothing, 1 in all Stats, and already Malnourished. This is one of the harder Game Starts.
- Starts with 5 other characters in a random town with no Cats. Each character has 1 in all Stats, two Basic First Aid Kit, and an Unknown quality Iron Club.
The Cannibal HuntersEdit
- Starts with 2 characters in a random cannibal village in the Cannibal Plains with 9 Cats. Both characters will have random basic gear for all slots and no backpacks. The first character will start with 5 in combat stats and a First Aid Kit while the second will have 2 in combat stats and 20 in stealth stats and a First Aid Kit/Splint. The group will start surrounded by a large group of Cannibals with more joining in from nearby buildings.
Guy with a dog Edit
- Starts in Bast with 13 Cats, 1 in all Stats, a Basic First Aid Kit, and an Unknown quality Iron Club. Is also accompanied by a baby Mountain Dog. The dog has a 45-55 in all combat Stats, however due to the penalties from being a baby it's Stats often end up in the negative at the beginning. Over time the dog will Age and the penalty will lessen, and eventually become a bonus.
The Slaves Edit
- Starts in the Rebirth with 2 characters as slaves of the Holy Nation. Due to the Holy Nation's hatred of Skeletons, they are the only race not available for this start. The characters will have 1 in all Stats, Dyed Trousers/Dyed Robes and 0 Cats.
- The Guy With a Dog start seems to be a reference to the Fallout series - The Lone Wanderer from Vault 101 and his loyal pet Dogmeat. It could also be a reference to "A boy and his dog" a 1975 postapocaliptic indie movie.